German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

AFC Water Test- What if...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Field Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 06/10/04, 4:46 pm    Post subject: AFC Water Test- What if... Reply with quote

What if a pro had handled my dog in her water test. Would she have to be water tested again with an amateur handler in order to finish her AFC?

And Except That a German Wirehaired Pointer, or Weimaraner, shall not be recorded an Amateur Field Champion unless it has also been certified by two of the approved judges to have passed, with an amateur handler (as determined by the Field Trial or Hunting Test Committee in accord with the Definition of an Amateur found in Chapter 17, Section 2), a Water Test at a licensed or member field trial or hunting test held by a Specialty Club for one of these two breeds. In the case of a Weimaraner, if it has been certified by the Weimaraner Club of America to have passed an All-Age Water Certification Test, or to have been given the rating of Novice Retrieving Dog, Retrieving Dog or Retrieving Dog Excellent, with an amateur handler, it shall be considered to have met the Water Test requirement. (Underlined portion effective June 1, 2002)
dualgwp

PostPosted: 06/16/04, 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup!
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 10/19/04, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pain in the a$$!!! Mad

Apparently the test secretary didn't check the little box next to "Amateur Handler" when I qualified Sophie in the water test last year. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow if AKC is going to award her the AFC. Rolling Eyes
dualgwp

PostPosted: 10/20/04, 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad. Our Wheeler waited over a year to get her FC certificate. Somehow AKC had her down as winning a 5pt ret. stake with her co owner as the judge. Huh? Oh, if it were only so simple.

A phone call to AKC finally got it straightened out and our certificate arrived yesterday. I knew she was finished over a year ago.

A suggestion, give the test secretary a call and then if she will contact AKC and tell them you, an amateur, handed the dog, all should be fine. Paper work is a pain, but a necassary one. Sometimes the test secretary just doesn't pay attention, sometimes whomever doing it at AKC misses something.

Most times a phone call and maybe a letter to back it up fixes everything.
Good luck
Bernee
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/20/04, 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a dumb question but, if the water test is given at a hunt test instead of a field trial, is there a box to check off if the handler was an amatuer?
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 10/20/04, 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on Wheeler's FC. You must be a lot more patient than I am. Laughing

I just received a phone call from AKC. They are going to print her AFC certificate today! Very Happy
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 10/20/04, 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb Finstad wrote:
This might be a dumb question but, if the water test is given at a hunt test instead of a field trial, is there a box to check off if the handler was an amatuer?

After going through this fiasco, I don't think it is a dumb question at all! I have never seen the paperwork that the test secretary has to send in to AKC, but I imagine that there is. It was probably over looked because at a hunt test there isn't Open and Amateur stakes.

It seems that the computer that figures the titles was looking for another water test. The people at AKC did some research and determined that since Sophie was amateur handled for her water test, she could use that qualification for her FC, MH, and AFC. I guess we all learned something. Confused
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/22/04, 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got to thinking that the last I had heard Sophie had just gotten her FC, which made me go to the AKC website & do a bit of checking and the following listing came up:

FC AFC Three Devils Abracadabra MH

Geez Tony, I totally missed that Sophie's just recently got her AFC - CONGRATULATIONS!!! Good job to both of you.

Deb

PS - Since I was the most recent secretary at our water test, thanks for posting about the amatuer handler issue - never, never would have thought about it without a heads up.
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 10/28/04, 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Deb!

I may have been able to finish her sooner, but the last two times that I entered a major amateur stake in Minnesota, the competition scratched their dogs and broke the major. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Field Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: