German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

butthead attitude

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for Performance/Conformation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 08/24/04, 12:08 pm    Post subject: butthead attitude Reply with quote

Since Gunner is our first GWP I am not sure at what ages they go through certain stages. Right now he is 15 months old and I am wondering if maybe in the GWP life he is in his "teens"?

In the past year he has been through lots of different training. He has had puppy and beginner obedience (with my husband) and conformation and tracking training with me. Along with this he has also had field training work with a professional trainer.

He did fairly well in everything we worked at BUT now he seems to have his own agenda! We tried showing him in conformation but he refused to stand still and behave (me, my husband and a handler all tried!) so we gave that up. In tracking he acts like he has never done it before and just goes off on his own. Hunting on the other hand is serious business to him and he has his JH title - definitely a different dog in the field!

BUT hunting is not going to be his only life - main part yes, but not all. He is a loving and fairly well behaved dog at home who still sometimes has puppy moments which I don't mind. But out in public he is oblivious to the fact that we have asked him to do something.

I have started him in the next level of obedience myself to try and get him to behave for me since I am the one who walks him the most. I am afraid I am going to have to work him on a pinch collar just to get his attention!

Is is his age???

Ann & Gunner
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 08/25/04, 4:01 pm    Post subject: butthead attitude Reply with quote

Hi,

Welcome to the wonderful world of wires, you have unfortunately come upon the "stubborn" wire. They usually hit adolescence at 15 months & continue on until they are three years old.

I have two wires, Doc, who will be ten this year & Sky, who just turned two in July. Doc has been a handful since he was 15 months old, his full name is Ch. Doc's Wild Like The Wind, CD, JH, NA, NAJ, NAP,NJP

He started to jump my six foot fence at the age of six months & did not stop until he was seven! He had to be on a rope whenever he went outside to potty.

It has not been an easy time & many times I thought about giving up. I had Doc neutered at 8 yrs of age & that made a huge difference in his ability to listen! I walk him on a pinch collar simply because he is too strong, I refer to it as "power steering"!

Sky has been with a professional bird dog trainer since May, she started having issues with her bracemates & it was time for her to go to boot camp!

Don't give up & just make sure that you never give Gunner a command that you can not follow through with. They are too smart & will figure out pretty soon that they don't have to listen.
ANGUS
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/25/04, 4:06 pm    Post subject: It sound so familar Reply with quote

Yes I would say its the age thing,,plus they do kind of like to be boss...my dog was 2 in june , and he is still going through the dreaded brat stage...but I do see an ending coming,,,,,there are more and more really good days.....they do like to do as they please at this stage,and it is frustrating isn't it.....my father bred GWPs for 25 years,,and most all of the dogs we had when they hit 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 yrs seemed to act in this manner.......but you know some dogs just don't like conformation classes...I had one male who would get sick just before a class,,,he really didn't like it..so we just stopped doing that class and moved on to something more fun for him......but hey way to go on the JH title,,thats great,,,,,,so have fun and just think of the day when all this will past,,lol...but they really never do grow up do they.....
Enjoy Your Dog...
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 08/25/04, 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - so it sounds like we are about halfway to better behavior! LOL!

The thing is no matter how naughty he is he acts so goofy that it's hard to get too mad at him. I suspect he just hates the conformation thing too - I think part of it was that class was way to boring after being out in the fields. Can't blame him much there.

And since it's been a while since hunting season I think that was all he had on his mind while I was trying to track with him in the field. Again, age will help him seperate the two I think.

And I guess we will just have to work in public with the "power steering" as he is way too strong for me. Smile

In the meantime we will just keep having fun in the fields and keep the rest of his training short and sweet just to keep him learning. And I don't think I'll plan on stopping the obedience classes anytime soon - I would like to try agility with him next spring. I suspect that would be something fun for him.

And as far as showing him - guess we'll have to wait til he's really old and will stand still! I told my hubby we could solve all his problems in the ring if only there was a pheasant right there with him - then he'd never move!

Thanks for the support - gotta love this breed. They are kind of like a very large version of my westies!

Ann & Gunner
dualgwp

PostPosted: 08/26/04, 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right, Gunner is at that "Butthead" age! He is like a 14 yr old boy, all hormones and the "I know better" attitude. He has more energy than you can run off, and is probably thinking he should be the boss, not you!

This too shall pass...... just keep at it, be patient but make sure he (and you) understand the rules of the house.

Give him another year and try showing him again, I think we all probably show our youngsters too young, especially the boys. They are neither physically nor mentally mature and they can learn to hate it if pushed.

Enjoy his silliness now, it will be gone all too soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for Performance/Conformation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: