German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Sore Nose? Care of Noses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/04/03, 10:11 am    Post subject: Sore Nose? Care of Noses Reply with quote

Took Baron out in the field last weekend and he was great fun to watch work - nose to the ground - back and forth through the rows of crops - loved it (and he loved it). However, when we got home he had a little bloody nose - I couldn't see a cut or sticker, but figured he poked it on a stick and wouldn't be a problem.

Now, he is sneezing and licking and the side of flap where his nostril is looks raw - I made an appointment at the vet for him this a.m. His nose has always been dry but never "sore" looking. We've never had a problem with our lab, but she doesn't run with her nose to the ground.

Are noses something we should be more concerned about or is this just a fluke and he got poked by something? Do these dogs have dry noses or is this a sign something should be taken care of? Thanks for your help. It is not easy to find a book on general care of these dogs.
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/04/03, 1:12 pm    Post subject: Follow-up on Sore Nose - took him to the vet Reply with quote

Just an FYI in case you have similar symptoms with a dog:

Baron went to the vet this a.m. - turns out that whatever poked him when we were out in the field, had yeast on it and he got an infection. Nasty - going to be hard to treat because the nose is moist anyway.

The vet gave me an odd-looking muzzle to squish his nose so he can't get his tongue out as far (and it isn't fun to get on him - they are very strong dogs!). We have to do it twice a day to keep him from licking while the medicine sits for 3 minutes and take antibiotics.

Guess this isn't unusual for hunting dogs-just not as typical when it involves a nose - but most times it happens on their feet where they are more likely to get little cuts for the yeast to enter - Baron was unlucky enough to get it in the nose...good thing we took him in pretty quickly.
cheerio

PostPosted: 12/05/03, 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope Baron will feel better soon. A hunting dog's nose is very sensitive.
Fingers and paws crossed for a quick recovery
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/07/03, 1:44 pm    Post subject: Doing better Reply with quote

Baron's nose is doing a little better but using medication on his nose is not easy - he absolutely doesn't like it (neither would I - it is a spray bottle and I've tried using cottonballs but can't get the dosage right that way) - plus that tongue just licks it off - even with the muzzle-like device the vet gave me.

I've read that using a heavy hand with GWP's for discipline is a huge mistake - and I can see that just in our experience trying to use medication on Baron. He doesn't forget and it takes a while before Baron forgives me for manhandling him - even though we are as gentle as possible we have to hold him very still or he gets the medication and the muzzle off very quickly - that means a bit of wrestling.

I can't imagine what happens if these dogs are mistreated - I doubt they ever forget.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 12/07/03, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, they have VERY long memories, and that can be a good and bad thing.
It's amazing how a dog that can remember something bad that happened to them a year ago, will forget that you told them- stay, just 5 seconds ago..... duh?! Cagey, craft critters we have.

Keep up the good medication work, it's probably a real pain now, but will be worth it.

I would also suggest that if your dog (anyones) has sneezing fits after a run, to check inside the nostril. Sometimes, luckily not often but it happens, a seed or a piece of grass or corn stalk can get "in there"... not nice at all.

Bernee
cheerio

PostPosted: 12/08/03, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very right dualGWP! This can be a bratt, especially with the many extra fold the hunting dogs have, you need a special scope (a soft scope) that most vet do not have, in order to locate the little intruder!...

Soni, a trick to put the med on his nose: give him a small piece of rollover, then spray the nose, then continue to give him some rollover, but this time a large piece that you hold and let him nibble on. While he nibbles, the med settles...
Good luck
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/27/03, 8:18 pm    Post subject: "Rollover"? And question about drinking Reply with quote

I've never heard of a rollover - can you advise?

We've had quite a time - the meds were making Baron lick his nose all the time which created "chapped nose" and now it is sore AND itchy. They've tried all sorts of nasty tasting stuff to keep him from licking but he still licks even the worst stuff off (I refer to the post called YUK about eating "poop" - which probably tastes great compared to this stuff).

The vet is trying oral meds now and another vet has suggested putting Cortizone cream on the nose (which he doesn't seem to lick off). One of the vets thinks the infection may be due to his immune system being weak pre-rescue.

I'm wondering - do your GWP's drink a lot of water? Seems like Baron drinks a ton of water compared to the lab. At first I thought it was just because he was dehydrated when we got him - there is nothing odd I can see/smell (like sweet) when he urinates and he is such a young dog - I have a hard time thinking his kidney's are involved in this whole infection thing.
cheerio

PostPosted: 12/28/03, 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soni, Rollover is a treat sold in just about any pet store. PetSmart definitely carries it. It is sold in the shape of a sausage. You have to slice it in little cubes. The rest is kept in the fridge or in the deepfreeze (freeze only in chunks. In cubes, it seems to crumble when it thaws out).

How are his joints? does he appear to lick his wrists?
A soare, crusty nose together with excess drinking due to kidney problem can be symptomatic of Lupus Erythematosus, which is an immune-mediated disease.
There are 2 types of lupus:
1) Systemic lupus Erythematosus. It is a complex autoimmune problem which may involve many organs. Other than kidney problems and soare nose, other symptoms can include soare and sometimes swollen joints (wandering), swollen glands and dermatitis. Only some or all of the symptoms can be present. The diagnostic is done mostly through elimination of other diseases, although an antinuclear antibody test is often indicative of the disease although not conclusive on its own.
2) Discoid Lupus Erythematosus. It is also an autoimmune problem but limited to skin involvement. A depigmentation of the nose followed by open sores and crust is characteristic. The diagnostic is made when the dermatitis which often accompanies the nose sores is limited to the face.

Treatment is long term corticosteroid.
Homeopathic veterinarians claim good success with the use of Thuja. 1 pill disolved in 1cc of water once a day for one week. (If you are interested in homeopathic treatement, make sure to learn the proper way to administer the medicine.)

Just a little more food for thought...
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/28/03, 3:06 pm    Post subject: I wondered Reply with quote

The vet that suggested coritzone for his nose to help with the cracking did say the word "Lupus" when she said that having a yeast infection in the nose was pretty unusual but didn't give me any details (she is my sister-in-law and I don't think she wanted to have me worry especially since she hasn't seen Baron as a patient).

That's when I started wondering about the amount of water he drinks. Should I bring this up to the vet that has been treating his nose? I never saw it being related before. He doesn't have any of the other symptoms you mentioned - swollen joints or skin disorders that I've seen (other than the nose).

As for the rollover - thanks! We have a PetSmart nearby - I'll look for it.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the info.
ENL

PostPosted: 12/29/03, 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dualgwp wrote:

It's amazing how a dog that can remember something bad that happened to them a year ago, will forget that you told them- stay, just 5 seconds ago..... duh?! Cagey, craft critters we have.
Bernee

Very Happy

I laughed at that. We call it "Max creep." We don't make her sit and stay, just stay...but those legs turn into the Grinch going into Whoville. Slinky.

Hope the pup gets better.
cheerio

PostPosted: 12/29/03, 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were my dogs, I believe I would mention it to my vet. Checking out the kidneys cerytainly would enlight you as to whether his increase drinking is cause for concern or not. Furthermore, oral steroid would heal the nose a lot faster than any cream, if it is immune mediated.
In the mean time, keep checking for him to lick his wrists or hocks. But remember, not all dogs show all the symptoms, even in the case of Discoid Lupus Erythematosus.
Good luck to you. Let us know what the vet says.
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/02/04, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Baron Update - All OK Reply with quote

Update on Baron. Everything cleared up in a few months. The frequent, excessive urination and the problem with the nose all seem tied together. The vet prescribed antibiotics to clear up his nose problem - it probably isn't a coincidence that the urination problem cleared up at the same time.

I'm still watching him for any suspicious signs - but he appears to be feeling great! He has been dubbed "Mom's dog" - he doesn't leave my side - I've never experienced a dog who was such a faithful companion and so willing to please.

Thanks so much for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: