German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Conditioning a rescue dog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trilini

PostPosted: 02/21/04, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Conditioning a rescue dog Reply with quote

Hi,
A little help please. I've recently rescued two female wires. One was in a very loving shelter since may. I don't think anyone had really exercised her before that. She's guessed to be 5. She has a ton of energy but is timid. I'm hoping that she'll love running with me. I've taken her for short runs twice-about first 20 then 30 minutes. She seems to be enjoying herself but then races home. I've kept her on a leash so far. With my previous wire, who loved running with me, I'd noticed that she didn't like being on lead and would refuse or even pout. Once I was able to trust her to stay with me and let her roam with me she couldn't get enough of running with me. My questions are: 1) Is it typical for wires to get bored when asked to pace on lead and not really enjoy it and 2) At what rate would you condition a new dog. Let me add that her pads are soft and I think more of a limiter than her cardiovascular fitness. We live in Illinois and the snow limits soft surface running

Thanks,

Pat
Dave1967
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/23/04, 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing the dogs and playing with them it is hard to have a very strong opinion, but you are looking for answers so I will give it a shot.
1. Do Wires get bored when asked to pace on lead (pups not usually, 5 years old, I'd bet on it)?
2. At what rate to condition a new dog? I have no idea, It has never been the dogs rate of conditioning that was the question, rather it has been my limitations.
Question: What's the story on the second dog. How old is she and what was her shelter/rescue condition like and how would you rate her temperament? Are they interacting nicely and do you run them together? Are they exercising together and does the timid one back off from yard play from boredom or because she is being pushed around by the other dog?
Suggestion:
I have several parks close by that have nice completely fenced Baseball fields that I have use to get a dog comfortable with working off leash. I sometimes have to ask the city grounds crew to allow me to block any openings in the fence, but they have always agreed and in one case they gave me a place to store the barriers that I come up with. This lets the pup have a chance to run along with me and I can play ball in a much larger area then just my back yard. The ball field sitting should allow you to measure the pups adjustment to the conditioning better than a run. With the ball field you can change the game to maintain the interest. With the run you are pretty well locked into the distance back from where ever interest is lost and boredom seems to sit in. That last half of the run can be a negative learning situation.
Trilini

PostPosted: 02/23/04, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I had done that with my previous girl and forgot about that approach. I'll definitely go back to the fenced in track and run there a few times.

I haven't run with the second dog yet primarily because she has fallen in love with my husband and I don't want to mess up this bond. Most of our other dogs have fallen for me because I spoil them more. He's always wanted to have his dog and even accuses me of trying to steal her from him if I come near her. She is out of condition, had pups recently and her musculature is poor for a 3 y/o wire, in my opinion. Ironically, I think she's the hunter of the two and when conditioned will love running with anyone. She does tire on walks of about an hour. She gets on a scent and so far gets a little deaf, like many hunters. She is amazingly sweet and smart. Her only problem is aggression toward other dogs when she has staked a spot. Even in one week tho. this is improving. She's definitely an alpha so that will probably never disappear. The two wires get along fine. I just worry because we have an alpha jack russell female and of course the wire could break her in half.

Thanks for the suggestion, keep them coming if you have more.

Pat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: