German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

8 month old question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/19/02, 12:09 am    Post subject: 8 month old question Reply with quote

I've got an 8 month old GWP that I've taken with my 7 year old GWP a couple times in the last couple weeks. I haven't rushed the 8 month old into hunting because I wanted to make sure his gun conditioning was solid. He seems to be fine in that regard.

Here is my question. Should I continue to take him with the older dog for the rest of this season, which has about a month and a half to go, or should I just take him by himself? He got in on a pheasant point, kill, a little tracking, and tried to help on the retrieve (steal the bird) a couple weeks ago. We also encountered some hens that the older dog found that day. We got shut out last time.

Here's the rub.
By taking him with my older dog there is a much better chance that he will get exposures to these sneaky late pheasants and grouse. The pup really hasn't put enough together to do much with these wise birds, at least I don't think so.

My other concern is that by taking him with the older dog and maximizing his chances to get in on some action I might not be letting him develop his own hunting skills. My older dog is pretty efficient and I notice the younger dog often gets pulled away from his own investigations to keep up with the older dog.

I haven't used any planted birds with the young dog yet. I hear some people saying not to use them, and others do indeed use the planted birds. I've never owned two bird dogs at once before and I guess I'm a little unsure on where to go with this next.

Any thought on all this?

Thanks,
Dave
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/20/02, 5:21 pm    Post subject: eight mo. GWP Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I also have a GWP around the same age and take her hunting with my older dogs every chance I get. I would not worry about screwing up your older dog. Little Callie hasn't messed my more experienced dogs up, and she has had plenty of oppurtunities. I have an example as to why I believe you should hunt your puppy with your older dog. Last Sat. my older dog went on point, Callie came into view and backed until I started moving in for the flush. The grouse flushed and I thought I had a pretty good hit and a great mark. I was hacking Hannah to the mark, sure the grouse was there, when I saw Callie forty yards away running full bore towards me with the very much alive grouse in her mouth. This puppy likes to play keep away but she must have been so proud of herself, cause she actually brought it to within one foot of me. I would have never had the pleasure of being able to watch all of this if I would have left in in the kennel or home.

Fact is, there usually are not enough wild birds to train on, or there are regulations as to when you can train on wild birds. Pen raised or pigeons are a necessity if you want to speed the training process up.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 12/27/02, 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure and run your young dog on their own also. They need to learn how to find birds on their own and you have to be careful that they don't learn to follow the older dog instead of hunting on their own. It is also bad if the younger dog will not honor the point and retrieve of the older dog. I prefer to get the younger dog finding, pointing and retrieving on their own first.
Dave
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/28/02, 6:38 pm    Post subject: More... Reply with quote

I posted this question on another dog BB and got some replies and then added the following reply.

"It all worked itself out today. I took the pup out alone today and after a long day of not encountering much of anything he did point some very fresh scent. I say that because as I moved in to flush, about 8-10 hen pheasants (wild) blew out down the fenceline. I was very OK with that because he clearly had a real snootful of scent at the time, even if the point was not real intense, I could sense things were happening with him. I thought great, we'll head back toward the truck and the direction the hens went. He didn't get anything going until we got within about 100 yards of the truck in some real heavy weed growth along a steep banked little creek. He then got on something, and he was very slow and cautious about it, but he was clearly working something. A couple times he looked like he lost the scent, but I was real patient and even gently encouraged him, which seemed to let him know he was doing the right thing. Soon the trail was going up and down the bank then back towards where we just came through. I thought it was either one of the hens, a rabbit, or who knows. The pup seemed to be picking up confidence and purpose as this went on. Then it came to the point, advance, point, advance, like my older dog does with a runner. Well, to my total surprise, during a point a big old rooster got up, the pup chased, and I dumped the bird at about 25 yards. This was a big, big, long feathered old cock and he had some life left in him. The pup just basically held him down while I got over there with my mile-wide smile and began praising the heck out him.

It's funny, I've taken my older dog, who is a journeyman on pheasants, through there a couple time earlier in the year and we only came up wih hens. It's almost like the real tenatative, cautious approach of this pup unnerved that old rooster. Who knows.

So thank you for all of your well written insight and advice. I think we got to square one today."

OK-that was my reply after I took the 8 month old out alone and got that sneaky old rooster. Today, my buddy called and said he could get some pheasants from a neighbor. I told him to get 6 and we would have 3 for his young lab and three for my young GWP. When I got there he had already used up 5 of the 6 birds. Gee thanks! Well, we released the last rooster in a fairly thick meadow. My little GWP got on the scent and worked the bird. The rooster got up when he was pausing (not really pointing), but he really didn't intentionally flush the bird either, so I figured this was OK and in the spirit of getting him a little fired up (which he was) I shot the bird at about 35 yards and he brought it RIGHT back to me. This was really his first full retrieve with a shot bird and he looked like an old pro. This bird was also alive, but it was only half the size of the wild hulk he got the other day. I couldn't have been prouder.

So, again, I think I have crossed another little (big?) milestone by getting him into some bird success. I say "another" milestone because I think getting past the conditioning to the gunfire was the first big step. It's funny how I trained my first GWP and he turned out great, but I feel like a rookie all over again with this pup. I guess it's partly because this pup is MUCH more laid back around the house, and my 7 year old is pure fire and brimstone.

Gee, I hope this message board get used by more GWP hunters because I guess I value the advice from GWP people a little more than the general bird dog advice, not that general bird dog advice is not good, it is, but I value advice for GWP's more when it comes from GWP people. (you know what I mean).

BTW-I took my 7 year old GWP to Iowa the Thursday and he took me to a three bird limit in about 15 minutes. That boy can hunt!

Thanks again,

Dave Erickson
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/29/02, 9:49 am    Post subject: NAVHDA Reply with quote

Dave, depending on your exact location there are three NAVHDA chapters which may be within driving distance for you. If you are not a member, I would highly recommend joining. Especially if you have an interest in learning how to train your young puppy, and maybe taking it to higher levels. I am not sure how active of a chapter Tri-State is, but I know for sure North Central WI. is, and have heard good things about the WI. River chapter.
Brandon Ward

PostPosted: 01/24/03, 11:31 am    Post subject: gwp clubs Reply with quote

I just recently joined the twin cities gwp club and looking for some field trials to go to hopefully to pick up some training tips. I have a fairly young pup 7 mos old he has been conditioned to gun fire he has had wild birds shot over him he isnt quite steady yet but shows alot of instinct. I want to start doing some yard work working on whoa etc. etc. This is my first gwp. I live in River Falls WI. When do the trials begin?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: