German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Inbreeding Ok?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

PostPosted: 09/24/03, 7:50 am    Post subject: Inbreeding Ok? Reply with quote

I'm looking for another GWP, specifically one from a good hunting line. My buddy's dogs are great to hunt with, well trained and eager to please. His female has been bred to her littermate and is expected to whelp shortly. Being that I know very little about genetics and such, I'm asking, would you consider one of these pups? Why or why not?
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 09/24/03, 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inbreeding can be a highly useful tool but it is not for the uninformed. It can solidify the positives in a pedigree but it can also bring out all the negatives in a big way as well. Serious breeders use this tool only after they have brought their breeding program to a point where they know enough about the past to be fairly sure of the future and are ready to accept whatever polygenic traits may be lurking in the backgound.

If the breeder did this because his two dogs are just the best he's ever had, walk away. Inbreeding should be done because the pedigree and the dogs have been fully evaluated. ALL the dogs (and most of the littermates) in the first 2-3 generations should be well known and the possible positives and negatives of the breeding well understood. Serious breeders may hold on to pups from such a breeding til they are a year old or more, in order to evaluate them.

I'm assuming that this breeding was not a mistake. In the end, IMO you judge these pups as to how informed the breeder is - how many generations has he/she been planning this breeding? How much is known about the pedigree? What are the flaws in the dogs? What are the positives? If a breeder can't answer those questions, most likely you're dealing with a cowboy/girl and you'd be best off to get off the ranch.

One more point - I have found over the years that folks that get into breeding just their own or who feel that their own are the only/best choice are usually kennel blind. Such folks are often more worried about their ego and reputation than the breed.
mnwired1

PostPosted: 01/16/04, 11:12 pm    Post subject: inbreeding Reply with quote

I agree with Jon P 100%. Make sure it is not an accidental breeding. A person in Oklahoma has become the expert in my opinion, and has bred his dogs nearly pure from inbreeding. (He breeds B & T coonhounds) Cattle breeders have been using the practice of inbreeding for years, but they have an understanding of genetics and husbandry.
cheerio

PostPosted: 01/17/04, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree 100% with Jon P. Given the fact that all problems in the line will find itself multiplies, it is very likely to show up in the pups. Inbreeding is a very serious matter that can only be done by breeders who have research their line very carefully and outbred it many times before in order to evaluate the possible outcome.
Personaly, I would stay away from a littermate breeding because in any case, it is too close for comfort.
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/17/04, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, has your buddy done anything with his dog besides hunt them? How well have they done vs. a standard, competition, along with hunting is a great way to tell just how good they really are. Even if he offers you one of these pups for the taking, please, politely refuse the offer. This breeding IMO was an accident and if it wasn't they should have NEVER been locked for obvious reasons. Serious breeders try to improve the breed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: