German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

remote bird launcher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/04/03, 8:56 am    Post subject: remote bird launcher Reply with quote

I would love to get a remote bird launcher, but would not love to pay the price of a new one. Is anyone looking to sell their used ones or know of anyplace that may have used ones?
Thanks
Brandon Ward

PostPosted: 12/13/03, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.collarclinic.com check there site out good luck
Brandon
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 12/13/03, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of remote launchers - they're only useful during a short period of a dog's development and then only sparingly. Make sure you work with an experienced trainer - launchers are highly over rated and if improperly used create more problems than they are worth.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 12/14/03, 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon
would you please explain why you think they can cause more problems?

The one thing I learned with remote launchers.... make sure who ever is working the "button" knows what they are doing and has impeccable timing. The last thing you want to do is open the dang thing right into a young pups face. Happened to me....from now on in, I work the button.

We have used launchers to work multiple flushes and to keep a dog intense after the flush..keeps em guessing. But launchers can be like potatoe chips... you can't have just one!
Dualgwp
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/14/03, 10:01 am    Post subject: remote launchers Reply with quote

Jen, adding to Duals comments. Make sure when you purchase a remote launcher IT IS DEPENDABLE. My first an EZ launcher had a coated wire for an attenna, had very limited range and would not work in damp conditions. Eleven years ago in strong winds my GSP Molly hit scent from 50 plus yards out. Saw her break and was on the button to no avail. What happened and I was very lucky, she retrieved the launcher to me with the bird still in it. Kind of funny now, but????

I have four Horizon launchers which are dependable and have had few problems with them but they are very noisy and could lead to styling problems. Horizon was bought out by Innotek. Last year a training friend and myself purchased four Dogtra launchers and they in my opinion are the best launchers on the market. Our NAVHDA chapter has both Innotek and Tri Tronics. Innotek's we have had problems with. The TT have been dependable but feel because of their design, do not give off enough scent. I know they are expensive but if it was me I would save enough for one Dogtra and a matching transmitter so you can add launchers later on.

Remote launchers have more uses than just field training. I use my two pheasant size Horizon launchers with a small life ring bungee corded to the bottom. I then set them with shackled ducks and float them in cover for water search work. Also use the large launchers for marking and retrieiving drills.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Last edited by Vom Britt on 12/14/03, 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
dualgwp

PostPosted: 12/14/03, 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob
What a cool idea to use the launhers for retrieves! Never thought of that one. Will have to give it a try!
Thanks
Bernee
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/14/03, 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks to all for the insight, it seems that Dogtra is the launcher of choice. I think I will have to break down and buy new and call it an investment. I think it can only help, but am wondering about Jon's comments. Please explain what the downfalls are, besides the obvious, of pushing the button at the wrong time.

thanks again--
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 12/14/03, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sure someone else would pick up on the need to be cautious with traps. Traps are onlt useful a limited number of times with a good young dog.

I only use traps to teach a young dog to stand up on scent when encountered (not to crowd) and to help with steadiness (staggered multiple releases). But, I have never had a dog that didn't figure out real quick that its a trap and not a real bird. I generally use them only for young dogs that may have pointed early, learned the game and are now trying to see how close they can get. As soon as the dog figures that out, the effectiveness of the trap is really gone. You will see some cautiousness rather than crisp handling of birds and at that point IMO the trap is no longer effective. You can put a live bird in the grass with the traps behind, but you run the risk of the dog closing on the live bird. If they are not used properly or too loud, the softer dog may suffer a loss of style. In the ideal world, the young dog points them hard (after he's "lost" a bird once or twice) allowing the trainer to release and gun the bird and steadiness can start to be built on the reward of the shot bird. But, that requires reliable retreiving and I would bet that I am one of the few folks that are force retreiving dogs at 10-12 months of age.

I think the best way to teach pointing is with wild birds. Here in the east, a few walks in the woodcock cover will do more than all the planted birds or traps can accomplish. Yes, you have to walk a lot but the dog can't catch them and there is no human scent or foot trail to back track, no game that can be manipulated, just honest wild birds.

Another use for them is to sharpen up the backing but then the dog isn't really scenting the traps. The traps are beyond a silhouette or another dog and not scented.

Yes, they are wonderful to teach marking and lining on land and water. They can also be used to intensuify the duck search or lead a young dog out farther.

The Southern Tier NAVHDA Chapter bought some traps some time back. They are rarely used.
Baron
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/15/03, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a lot of use out of my launchers. I use them to get a pup pointing (if it isn’t already). I use them to get a pup staunch on point. I use them to teach steadiness through the flush, shot, and fall. I use them to teach and/or reinforce backing. So, I use them a lot and think they’re well worth the investment. I basically try to simulate wild bird situations, with the advantage of being able to control them.

I haven’t tried using launchers while training for duck searches, but it is an interesting idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: