German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

tail question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kent_sutton

PostPosted: 11/25/03, 5:53 pm    Post subject: tail question Reply with quote

I picked my wire up at the pound and know nothing about his history...but I just had a random question. His tail isn't docked to the right length. Its more like a springers tail would be, just a nub. Any thoughts on why however docked it did it like this?
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/25/03, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Question about tail Reply with quote

Hi,

My male wire has a very short tail almost like what your dog has. My female wire has a longer tail, her breeder did it correctly.

I am not sure why my male's breeder did his tale so short. He had it done by a vet, maybe they just got confused about the length!

Cathy Embarassed
ANGUS
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/25/03, 11:10 pm    Post subject: tails Reply with quote

HI there,,,my guys still has all of his tail as I bought him from a greman breeder,,,,about 70 percent of european countries as well as England and Austriala have past a no crop or dock law. I kinda like it,,you do have to get used to it....Angus has had no problems in the bush or in the house.we are in the bush just about every day,which is very dence here, lots of heavy under brush. I have shown him here in Canada and none of the judges have made any negitive comments.and he did place 5 in the sporting group..I know that in some of the banned countries you can not show your dog with a cropped tail if they were born 2000 or earlier.
I have had lots of good comments on him still having his tail,,alot of ppl are in support of the no crop or dock.
just my point on this,,,,enjoy your dog.
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 11/25/03, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The breed standard calls for a tail 2/5 of its original length. Apparantly many vets were not very good at math, because they think 2/5 is closer to 1/4 than it is to 1/2.

I've always measured and cut GWP & GSP tails at 1/2 their original length, and they have always looked fine.
alex_gwpuk

PostPosted: 11/26/03, 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: tails Reply with quote

ANGUS wrote:
about 70 percent of european countries as well as England and Austriala have past a no crop or dock law.

Hi

Cropping was outlawed a long time ago in England but at this time dogs are still allowed to be docked as long as it is done by a qualified vet.
There is constant campaigning by some to get it outlawed and unfortunately one day it probably will but the Council of Docked Breeds is doing a lot to try and prevent it (www.cdb.org)

Regards

Alex Smile

Sashal GWP
www.sashal.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Beths

PostPosted: 11/26/03, 9:53 am    Post subject: not docked? Reply with quote

I've been curious about how the GWPs look without a docked tail. Anyone have any pictures or can direct me to some? Thnx Beth
ANGUS
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/26/03, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at Korskote Kennles you will see some pictures there.
In England you can only get your dogs tial crop if they have injured it and it needs doctoring. as with the othe countries over there.
alex_gwpuk

PostPosted: 11/26/03, 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANGUS wrote:

In England you can only get your dogs tial crop if they have injured it and it needs doctoring. as with the othe countries over there.

Hi Angus

Sorry that's not correct. In England dogs tails can be docked at about 4-5 days after birth by a qualified vet. Most of the GWPs in this country have docked tails. We do have one titled male with an undocked tail but this is because he was imported from Norway.
An older dog with an undocked tail can only have it docked if it has been injured and there must be good medical evidence to suggest it needs docking.
I think at the moment dogs can still be docked in Australia but I hear there is a law being pushed through to prevent it.

Regards

Alex

Sashal GWP
www.sashal.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ANGUS
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/26/03, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the misinformation,,after talking with a UK breeder that was the impression I got.but I do understand the no docking of older dog unless needed for medical reasons......I have to say though that I do like my guy with his tail.....you just can't help but tell when he is really happy.
Very Happy
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/27/03, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Another nubby tail Reply with quote

We always wondered why our rescued male GWP's tail was just a nub - assumed it was a fluke and docked incorrectly - sound's like Baron isn't alone. Even the Cocker Spaniel we had as kids had a longer tail.
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/03/03, 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is a link to the results of a study performed in Sweden about 10 years ago investigating the necessity of docking tails in German Shorthairs. Granted it's on a site that is pro-docking so there may be other studies that contradict the findings however, I think most of us that do hunt behind our dogs would agree with the investigators conclusions.

http://www.cdb.org/sweden.htm
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 12/03/03, 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done properly, there is little discomfort to the pup and the benefits are well proven. Anyone who really hunts has seen their share of Pointers/Setters/ Beagles with broken, infected or beat up tails.

The nub on your GWP was done by someone who didn't care what it looked like. Lot of Brits out there that look like Manx cats too.

Overall, I have to chuckle about this issue of tail docking - we continue to circumcise male children and mutilate female children in large parts of the world but docking tails is somehow cruel and inhumane. I love my dogs but some of these bleeding hearts need to get a life.
axjms

PostPosted: 12/03/03, 1:34 pm    Post subject: very interesting article Reply with quote

Thank you Deb for posting the link to the tail docking study. It was very informative. I am glad we don't have any anti-docking laws here in the US!
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/04/03, 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am glad we don't have any anti-docking laws here in the US!

YET. There is growing support of this issue in our country also, due in part to ignorance as to why it is done.

As Jon stated, anyone that has hunted behind longer tailed dogs does know the damage they can sustain. One example I've heard of recently came from Larry Brown (an outdoor writer for the Pointing Dog Journal), he owned a English pointer a few years ago and every year while pheasant hunting the dog's tail would get cut up & infected. He'd take the dog to the vet and treat it but the injury & infection won out eventually and one year the lower half of the tail did finally just fall off. He had no more problems after that. Incidentally - Larry now owns shorthairs.

Glad you found the study helpful.
ANGUS
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/04/03, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what about the other long tailed breeds,,should they not be docked as well?? I am not against tail docking,,my Father and I always docked our puppies at 24hrs,,he had been taught by our local vet on the proper way to do this...I just thought I would see how you guys felt about the other long tail hunting breeds??? My uncle has had nothing but trouble with his labs tails,,,should they not be docked as well? just a thought..
Enjoy your dogs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: