German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

truly versatile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 12/02/03, 11:13 am    Post subject: truly versatile Reply with quote

Well, Gunner showed us a new side this morning. We let the dogs out in the fenced in back yard this morning while it was still dark out. A short time later Gunner was at the door with the westies wanting in the house. We went to let him in and there he was proud as can be with a huge rabbit in his mouth! You could tell he was so pleased with himself. Unfortunately the rabbit was dead but I bet he'll be doing lots of hunting in our back yard now!

Ann
cheerio

PostPosted: 12/02/03, 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a perfect hunting dog Gunner is, bringing the rabbit to Mom...
The only thing Cheerio ever went aflter was wild ducks and geeses'eggs, and she certainly never brought them home! Laughing
Comtesse does have a definite pray drive however. Now that she is totally at home with us, she has gone after the cats a few times. We dealt with that, but she does dissapear in our little wood all day long when the temperature is not too cold. I don't think she's ever caught anything though. she's still too fat for the chase.
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 12/02/03, 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have one concern with this whole thing though - will it cause problems with his hunt training? He's only just shy of 7 months old.

Ann
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 12/02/03, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would limit your pups opportunities to catch game on his own. I doubt any harm has been done by this one chance encounter, but dogs that are allowed to roam and "collect" game on their own can become very difficult to train. The whole idea behind pointing and retrieving is that (you) the hunter does the killing and that the game belongs to you. I like the fact that the dog brought it to you, but that can change real fast when the pup has wild game that it caught for any period of time. There will be times when you give your dog permission to go catch game and bring it to you like a crippled duck. But that's a duck that is wounded.

Sounds like the pup has some positive instincts, but your still a lon, long way from versatile:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: