German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

male or female

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cabinetman

PostPosted: 11/26/03, 8:33 pm    Post subject: male or female Reply with quote

I'm in the process of getting a pup. Which is the better to train,
male or female? I've read where they say females are more hard-headed.
cheerio

PostPosted: 11/26/03, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most trainable for what?
cabinetman

PostPosted: 11/26/03, 9:57 pm    Post subject: male or female Reply with quote

I forgot to ad, - pheasant hunting
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 11/27/03, 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cabinetman,

It's a sad day when a guy has to specify what he wants to train his wirehair for. Rolling Eyes

Buy the male, you won't regret it.
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/27/03, 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros and cons to both. I prefer the bitches. I have had three, of different breeding and they all were easy to train, birdy and hunted for me. Just my two coppers. I don't believe it really matters, just find a breeder you are comfortable with, a proven litter of his/her, then sit down and pick the first one that comes to you Wink Wink
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 11/27/03, 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

How many male wirehairs have you owned/trained?
cheerio

PostPosted: 11/28/03, 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
cabinetman,

It's a sad day when a guy has to specify what he wants to train his wirehair for. Rolling Eyes .

Sorry Tony, but in this day and age, people do all sort of things with their dogs, even a wirehair, and it is not always obvious to those who do not hunt.
I, for my part, have used my wirehair for SAR work (Search and Rescue), and I really believe that it would have been a shame not to use my girl. She saved many lives during the crises of the 90's in Haiti.
And now that I know that Cabinetman wants to train his GWP for bird hunting, I know that I cannot help him since I admit it, I know absolutely nothing about it. I do however enjoy reading the posts of those who do. Smile
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/28/03, 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, I have only owned and trained three. My first GWP, Callie #1, I bought for $150. I was at the time really looking for a puppy to train and then sell. She was such an easy dog to train compared to my GSP and could not sell her or any other I bring home I found out. She earned a UT1 and was in training for the 98 NAVHDA Invit. when one evening I let her out of the house. She broke after what I suspect was our barn cat and found her the next day, laying dead next to a pine tree in our back yard with a broken neck Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Two years later brought home Hannah who has a pretty nice NAVHDA pedigree. She is a pup out of Kettle Creek's Moe and Kettle Creek's Joula. She is a 106 NA 111 at nine months, a 200 UT 11 at 2.5 and a 192 UT1 at 2.8. Also needs her sixth leg for her AKC MH. Six months ago while I was working in our pole shed I looked up and there she was proudly carrying Miss Kitty towards me. I betcha Callie #1 was smiling down upon her on that day. I was searching for a male pup and was led again to the east coast. Bernee Brawn had a litter and liked what I saw as far as on paper. The only male pup was chosed for stud fee, I felt so comfortable with the Side x Side and Justa Ariel breeding, especially Cody, that I chose Callie who was already named. This year she earned a NA 1 at 12 months and was five for five in JH tests. Those achievements, well, let's just say I think more of the dog that can handle the pressure it takes to become any Utility or Senior/Master Bird Dawg and of course an accomplished hunting dog. As you can tell I enjoy the testing games.

Are you sorry now that you asked? Wink
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/28/03, 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Tony,

I mis read your post. Personally I have not owned a male wire to date, but have helped a number of folks who own males in our NAVHDA chapter. Don't want to start anything here, but going from my limited experience the majority of the ones I have been involved with were head strong and more difficult to train, needing a heavier and firmer hand. I just prefer females both in the GSP & GWP.
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/28/03, 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both sexes can become great hunting dogs and do all you want - I think that is obvious. But, after 30+ years of dealing with both GWP and DD, I would have to say there is a difference in character. Bitches will often try to beat you in a sneaky way - they are more manipulative. Dogs will just flash the "Italian Salute" right to your face. I think it takes more cunning to train many bitches and more forcefulness with males. Just my 2 cents and of course not to be regarded as absolute.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 12/01/03, 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years I thought that males were easier and overall made better hunters because all my best dogs were male. But now I have a female that is as good as or better than any dog I have owned. I really don't think it matters that much. As a rule the males respect a strong hand more than the females. Every female I have owned would shut down if I got to rough with them. Some would even roll over on their back and not move. With a female you just have to grit your teeth and try something different when they act up or aren't learning something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: