German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

climbing out of pin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helsley

PostPosted: 11/03/03, 3:18 pm    Post subject: climbing out of pin Reply with quote

I have a 3 year old male that has all of sudden decided he does not like to stay in the back yard I can not keep him in the yard I was thinking about putting a hot wire on top of the fence any other ideas would be appreciated.
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/03/03, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Climbing out of Pen Reply with quote

Hi,

My male wire did the same thing, he would jump the 6 foot fence from a sit. I hot-wired the top of the fence, he took one look at the wire, looked at me & then jumped on the boat & over the fence!

I finally put the hot wire around the bottom of the fence about two feet away on pvc pipe, that way he could not get to the fence.

Good Luck!

Cathy
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 11/03/03, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fenced yard with kennels in it for my dogs. I let them out every morning and every evening to run, supervised, around the yard. I have never had a wirehair that I could keep in a fenced back yard. They are very smart dogs and will figure out how to get out.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 11/04/03, 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bitch that learned to climb fences.... at the age of 8! She was fine til then.. never gave an indication she would go over a fence. Then one day.. over she went. Now I have to keep her in a kennel with a cement bottom and wire top.

And ya' know.. I wouldn't trade this breed! Wink
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/07/03, 9:23 am    Post subject: fence climbers Reply with quote

My first wire could scale her six ft. high outside run with one leap and hooking her paws on the top rail and climbing over. I decided to fix her and added a 12 ft. chain link fence to the top of her run. I came home the next day and she was out once again. She didn't escape in her outside run so checked her inside run. The inside is a third stall of our garage which I converted to an inside dog run. The only way she could have gotten out was to stand on her dog house, jump over to the next inside kennel fence, climb it and squeeze through the 12" gap at the top, go out the door from the second inside run to the outside run, and scale that fence (which didn't have a top at the time) to freedom! Wow, talk about a dog on a mission!

Thanks for the post. I have many very fond memories of Callie #1 and this was one of them.
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/10/03, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On average, how long is the dog in the yard on a given day?

Is she alone or with other dogs?

What sorts of stimulation does she have out there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: