German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

This IS a GWP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dualgwp

PostPosted: 10/30/03, 4:40 pm    Post subject: This IS a GWP Reply with quote

You know how all of us "oldsters" in the breed are trying to explain the GWP temperment and personality. We often use such words as intelligent, determined and silly. Whenever I explain the breed to someone inquiring, I always also include that they have a keen sense of humor.

Here is a bit of that "humor".
My Weasie is 10 yrs old, extremely active and in good shape from running free on a couple of hundred acres. Two days ago I found her sitting in the garage looking very sorry for herself and full of burrs. I started to remove a few from her ear and she just started screaming bloody murder. Uh-Oh..... something is wrong here. So I started to search all over her for some kind of wound, tear, or sign of injury. Nothing. So I got her up and it was obviouse she was really sore in the rear. I called our vet (who luckily also has one of her daughters) and got her over there quick.

She poked, prodded and tugged everywhere. Weasie showed a bit of discomfort in the area over her tail, so she gave me some Rymadal and told me to keep her quiet and see what happens.

That night you would swear this dog had had her leg torn off! She sat in the closet shaking, crying and looking just miserable. If I touched her rear, no matter how lightly she would scream like I had stabbed her with a knife. Now I was really concerned and made an appointment for the next morning for some spine xrays.

Took her in, screamed getting out of the car, but once in the office, wonders of wonders, she trotted about like a 4 yr. old.

Came back later to look at the xrays and there were indeed signs of arthritis in the spine and a closing of the gap between the vertabrae. So, she has a bad back just like me! (and trust me, I understand how much it can hurt ) But, the Vet and all the techs told me they had again poked, prodded, pushed and pulled and never a peep!

I once again slightly touched her on the rear, and she screamed bloody murder! Vet brushes the same area, same reaction. Now we both think... this old girl is a bit of a actress.

Long story short, today (24 hrs later and $300 lighter in the pocketbook) she is running about like her old self! I swear she is grinning from ear to ear and giggling like a fool to boot!

Moral to the story.... GWP's are notorious for NOT showing pain when they really have pain. However, some slight problem and they delight in making you think they are in the last hours of life!

Wires, ya gotta love em.

Bernee Brawn
Justa GWP's
rmtaylorIII

PostPosted: 10/30/03, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story. Really funny. I would have done the same. Hopefully the dog has worked the $300 off in the past.

Interesting because I've had, through my dad, 3 GWPs and have never experienced the so much talked about, "GWP attitude", except for their need for exercise.

Looking forward to getting my own in a month.

Bob
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 10/30/03, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a tummy protecter on Sophie once to keep her tits from getting tore up from the grass, and she limped around like she had three broken legs. I took the protecter off to see what has injured, and she took off running like nothing was ever wrong.

IMHO, the female GWP's play this game much better than the males. Rolling Eyes
dualgwp

PostPosted: 10/31/03, 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, she is worth the $300, probably wouldn't blink to spend it again.

We Wire owners don't talk about this sort of thing much, probably because we are too embarrased to admit we are bamboozled by them day in and day out

And I agree that the girls are much better bamboozlers than the boys. The boys I have had will sit quietly next to me with blood spurting out of some "wound" and just quietly try to get your attention.... "Excuse me Mom, but when you get a minute......" The girls? "HEY FOOD LADY..... GIT YOUR BUTT OVER HERE AND ATTEND TO ME!"

Bernee
ANGUS
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/31/03, 6:02 pm    Post subject: thought I would share Reply with quote

My guy seems to be going through the goofy stage right now.
we are working on obedence right now (Trial in 2 weeks).
I aked him to come the other night out in the horse yard,and all he did was cry and whine and carry on.I had no idea what he was doing,most times he come very quickly,and finishes the recall very sharp.but not this night. I turned around and saw that the horses water tub had a hose in it and I guess he figured I was calling him to come for a hose off.which he gets when he is just out of the field. So I took afew steps away from the tub and he came to me so quick he just about knocked me over. smart but very goofy. Oh yes , and last night he ate my carved pumpkin. go figure.
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/31/03, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny story Dual. But let us not sterotype males vs. females. My Hannah is tuff as nails as was Callie #1.
maddog
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/02/03, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait VomBritt, It will happen to you too:) The "tough as nails" females we all have, will pull one on you eventually. Sometimes they just take a while to start their "master" plan. Anyone out there have a dog that learned to moo?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/02/03, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so Maddog but haven't had one pulled on me yet. But on the other hand maybe I have been bamboozled and never knew it Wink I have had three German Wirehaired Pointers in my life, two with me now. The first two were all business and matured rather quickly into hunting and test dogs. My Callie #2 has all the natural ability you expect in a well bred dog but is maturing slower compared to the other two. Nothing wrong with that, all that means is that I am reading my dogs and letting them develope as I grow with them.
maddog
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/02/03, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you not sure, then I would bet they pulled something on you:) Where in Wisconsin are you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maddog
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/02/03, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course that should read"you're" not "you" I hate not having a spillchecker:) Embarassed
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/03/03, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddog, I live near the Marshfied area in central Wi. Have also been an active member in North Central Wi. chapter of NAVHDA for the past 10 years and am very proud of those first two GWP's that earned the right of being invited to NAVHDA's showcase game.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 11/04/03, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do each have their own personality quirks. I have one right now that will collect rocks and bring them back to her kennel. She will dig them up and will not leave them in the yard. Sometimes they are to big for her to carry and I will carry it to her kennel while she jumps up and down excitedly following me. Due to their multi-purpose roles while hunting they are fun to watch play together. They will hide like lions and spring on each other when their playmate gets close. They will sometimes point each other waiting until just the right moment to spring into action. I have also had them very patiently point squirrels that are stealing their food until just the right moment to pounce on them. So far I have found two dead squirrels in the yard that didn't move in time. Because of their retrieving instinct you will see frequent games of keep away. Sometimes both of my young dogs will be running around at the same time with different items in their mouths trying their best to tempt their playmate into a chase. Some of them will always have something in their mouth while playing even carrying some pretty good size tree limbs back to their kennels. They are very playful dogs and never bore of games with either you or another dog.
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/07/03, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And can they jump! My pup started jumping over the dip in my 5th wheel tailgate to get in the bed of my truck. I never let him jump in or out of my truck because I do everything in my power to save the knees and hips. A few weeks ago I was loading a motorcycle in the back of the truck and I kept telling him to stay out of the truck, while I was sinching the bike down I heard a noise and felt the truck move and I looked over the roof and there's my 6 month old pup looking at me over the roof. He had jumped up on the hood, he cleard the hood clean, no toenail marks. How can you get mad at a face like that? You don't gotta love 'em, you dont have a choice but to!
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/08/03, 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy CAN they jump as we too just realized! We have a baby gate across the stairway leading upstairs to keep the herd of dogs down with us. Well we have noticed lately that if we go upstairs and leave the gate up that all of a sudden there is Gunner our 6 month old in the room with us! It wasn't until just yesterday that I actually saw him do it. They were all patiently waiting while I was getting ready to remove the gate and go upstairs. Gunner was just standing there with a stuffed animal in his mouth when all of a sudden he just SPRUNG up over the gate clearing it by quite a bit and bolted on up the stairs! The westies and I just stood there in amazement.

I have also seen him effortlessly jump up on the top of a picnic table from the ground. Can't wait to get this guy into agility!!!

Ann
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: