German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Growth Rate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitsa

PostPosted: 10/17/03, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Growth Rate Reply with quote

I'm curious, what is the average rate of growth for GWP puppies? I have heard that they tend to be on the thin side throughout puppyhood and I want to be sure that he's growing fine.
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/17/03, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Growth Rate Reply with quote

Hi,

It is true, most wires are skinny as puppies & it takes them awhile to fill out. My 14 month old puppy is tall & thin. It is very hard to keep any weight on her. My male, who will be 9 this year, was thin up until he turned 7.
cheerio

PostPosted: 10/17/03, 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends of the line. But most GWP grow in height the first year, in weight the second and are not finish until their 3rd bday. In fact, most will not put on any weight up until 18 month to 2 years. So if you have a leggy skiny teenage dog, don't worry, it is normal as long as he eats well and he is full of energy.
maverickdvm

PostPosted: 10/18/03, 11:34 am    Post subject: skinny wires Reply with quote

I was so excited yesterday at 15 months my male finally broke 50 pounds. He has been a boney one all along plus eating is not his favorite thing to do. He is just starting to fill out. I am used to Labs, it was a hard transition.
ANGUS
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/19/03, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Glad I read this post Reply with quote

My boy is 16 months and is very tall and long legged.
Good to hear that he is not the only one.He is 80lbs now,I can just imagine what he will look like when he is done.
I might have in get some shares in a dog food company.lol
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/21/03, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some BIG pointer you've got, Angus! 80 lbs?? Wow!!

I got my girl at 7 mos, and she was underweight for the first 10 mos I had her. I had a couple vets try to convince me that she needed different food -- and when I did switch her food, she became very ill and stopped eating for a week! Not a good idea when she's already skinny!

Only now that I've been feeding her a raw diet am I FINALLY seeing the weight come on. In fact, the past couple weeks I've cut back on her intake because I could start feeling the fat come in just a little over her ribs. One week on a slightly more restricted diet, and she's back to looking awesome.

I know one other GWP - just under a year - and he's a long-legged skinny runt. Almost makes you laugh looking at him. I hear it's pretty typical that GWPs are slow to build.

Illona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: