German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

National field trial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigoak

PostPosted: 10/01/03, 5:48 pm    Post subject: National field trial Reply with quote

has anyone heard from the national (field)
dualgwp

PostPosted: 10/04/03, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home from Reno! We all had a great time (as normal) and the event went very well. It was hot (high 80's most of the week) and very dry and extremly dusty. Not ideal conditions, but the dogs all handled it well.

The Amateur Championship -
1. DC Rudolfs Blitzen von Duffin
2. DC AFC NAFC Cascade Jagd von Fruend
3. DC Flintlocks Go Boy von Rahnhaus
4. FC AFC Deja Vu

The National Championship finished up today at 5 PM
1. FC Backwoods Sure Shot Wilson (a littermate to last years NFC)
2. DC Cascade Jagd von Fruend
3. FC NFC Sure Shot's Slick Nickle
4 FC AFC Deja Vu

Derby and puppy was won by Flintlock Slick Shot Sadie, Futurity was Backwoods Ms Dixie Delight.

More to follow when I unpack
Dave1967
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/21/03, 8:17 am    Post subject: The reat of the story! Reply with quote

Dualgwp if you have had a chance to unpack, I would appreciate a little more detail on the trials at the Nationals? How many dogs were entered in each group and how did they (in your opinion) perform over all. Did anything stand out that should be taken into account: weather, temperature or other factors?
dualgwp

PostPosted: 10/21/03, 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I have finally unpacked and have the cataloge right here. I will preface my remarks with this... I didn't ride as much as normal due to my not getting along with the wranglers horses this year. Too hard to try to watch dogs and fight with a horse...

Derby Classic- 14 entries
Winner- (I'm pretty sure) Flintlocks Slick Shot Sadie Female
I only rode one brace of the Derby to watch a bitch I bred and co own. She did an excellent job, especially considering she is a Michigan dog and had never seen this type of country in her young life. No placement though.

Puppy Classic-17 entries
Winner- the same as the derby

Amatuer Championship 27 starters
Conditions were HOT and DRY and Dusty!!!!!!! Temps were in the high 80's and low 90's (but it was a dry heat!?)
The courses for both Championships were IMO good workouts for the dogs. The landscape was pretty flat, but did have these little draws that would and could and did pull alot of dogs out and the wrong way... if you weren't really careful you would lose sight of them and before you knew it they were way off going the wrong way. You needed a good scout to find a dog on point, it's amazing how a hunk of sagebrush can totally hide a dog. In the middle of the course we came to a ridge that the dogs could work, and if they did they were usually awarded with a chuckar find in the rocks. Some dogs used that, some didn't. Most all of the dogs who had the opportunity to retrieve did so quite well.

The winner was an Oregon dog- DC Rudolphs Blizen Von Duffin. I did not ride this brace, but was told the dog moved out quickly and went from objective to objective in quick fashion.
2nd place was DC AFC NFC Cascade Jager von Fruend- This brace I did watch. Jager broke away strong and made a really big move to the front. We lost him for a bit, but we found him, or he found us and he continued to work really hard and had a nice find with a good retrieve. I like Jager and was impressed.

3rd- DC Flintlocks Go Boy V Rahnhaus- I did not watch this brace. Everyone seemed very impressed with Josh's performance and everyone thought he would be in the ribbons.

4th FC AFC Jeja Vu- I did not watch this brace either, but from all accounts Kelly did a very creditable job.

Brace I did watch that impressed me- FC AFC Backwoods Reflection- Hank was really running a nice course handling kindly and he was very strong. Unfortunately his handler made a couple of boo-boos which probably him a placement. Young dog with alot of drive, style and personality. A good bird dog.

National Championship
38 entries
the weather had cooled a bit, mid 80's and a cloud now and then showed up.

Unfortuantely I didn't get to watch too many of these braces either. Same horses, same problems. And we had to leave for the airport before the Ch was over.

There should be complete writeups in the next WireNews describing it all.

Bernee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: