German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

constant pointing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bizmark

PostPosted: 10/17/03, 9:04 am    Post subject: constant pointing Reply with quote

I am brand new to owning a GWP. My boy (Bizmark) is 13 weeks old and I am planning on having him professionaly trained to hunt when he gets about six months old. For now I am just letting him be a puppy and am teaching him to retreive a dummy. My question is that strating on Monday, he has been constantly pointing at things without any training, my shoue, chairs, crickets that get in the house, you name it. Is this a good sign that he has drive or a bad one that he just points at things he shouldn't.

Thanks for the advice. He is a great dog and I am so happy with my choice.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 10/19/03, 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it. Wirehairs display varying degrees of pointing instinct. It sounds like your pup has a lot. But that could change with age. Just let a pup be a pup. I think it is easier to train a pup with a lot of pointing instinct than a pup without very much. They will learn in the field what to point and what to ignore by your reaction and you ignoring them when they are pointing nongame.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 10/19/03, 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it. Wirehairs display varying degrees of pointing instinct. It sounds like your pup has a lot. But that could change with age. Just let a pup be a pup. I think it is easier to train a pup with a lot of pointing instinct than a pup without very much. They will learn in the field what to point and what to ignore by your reaction and you ignoring them when they are pointing nongame and telling them to move on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: