German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

recalling quail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/15/03, 10:31 pm    Post subject: recalling quail Reply with quote

I had eight quail in a recall pen and all but one female escaped after I tried to let a few out on my lunch hour. Usually when I have let some out, if they dont go back in the pen they are close by at dark. When I went out to check tonight they were not around. Will they come back after being out overnight?
David Williams

PostPosted: 10/14/03, 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been releasing quail from a call back pen and they usually come back in the pen b/4 nightfall on the first release,But as they get more experiance with their new freedom,they come back the next day or b/4 nightfall.Sometimes predators get some of them and keep pets away from the pens.Also you should have feed and water always in the pen if it is in a permanent place(not portable)Quail learn not to expose themselves in order to survive when out in the wild,especially after being attacked by a few predators.I have lost quail to coyotes,hawks owls,raccoons and saw one hit right in the air by a sparrow hawk while it flew from our release cage.To much activity around the pen may keep them away.Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: