German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

My hubby is so happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/11/03, 12:42 pm    Post subject: My hubby is so happy Reply with quote

First hunt today for our 16 month old Jake. He retrieved 2 ducks. The first one my hubby had to start out after it himself but when Jake saw it he took over. The second one Jake figured out what to do and got the duck immediately. Now my question is what shampoo to use to get out the swamp water smell?
Dave1967
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/11/03, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my second attempt to answer your question. I think the first one got lost in the system. I use one of the large plastic storage tubs that they sale at Wal Mart to bath the dogs in.
Shampoo
3 oz. Lemon Joy liquid dishwasher soap
3 oz. Glycerin
1 1/2 oz. White Vinegar for each gallon of water

Just mix up a batch and add to a couple of gallons of water in the tub.
Take a sponge and wash the dog all over and use hands to work the lather into the dog's hair.

Rinse a bunch of times and get out of the way.

The Lemon Joy will do a good job all by itself but the added ingredients are a great improvement
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/11/03, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave for the help. Think I'll head to Walmart tomorrow and get a tub.
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/11/03, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Dish Soap? Reply with quote

I have been told by others that using dish soap have cause problems with their dogs skin, takes out too much of their skin oils. Could have been something else though. I would ask a vet or local pet groomer before using dish soap. There must be something my vet puts on my dog because when I board her there she always smells good when I picked her up.
Dave1967
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/11/03, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contracted Poison Ivy for the first time in my life) and I was re-infecting from the oil that the pup picked up. This meant that I would either have to cut out a lot of field training or start giving the pup a bath after every outing. My vet sold me a bottle of Vet-Kem Flea & Tick shampoo for $9.00. It is really good and not too harsh but a little bit pricey. Groomer's in the area recommended the dish soap recipe and my vet concurred with it as mild enough and suitable. We have been using it ever since. When my wife uses it to on the miniature schnauzer she finishes up with a regular conditioner. I skip the conditioner on the Wire and I was giving her a daily bath for about five weeks without any sign of dry skin. That doesn't mean that it will not affect some dogs differently.
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/12/03, 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you set that straight, I should'nt repeat word of mouth information or misinformation but thats how we learn sometimes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: