German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

pigeons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/03/03, 6:57 pm    Post subject: pigeons Reply with quote

Where does anyone get their pigeons and/or culls from?

Thanks for your help--
Baron
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/04/03, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with local dog training clubs (breed clubs, NAVHDA chapters, etc.). Many of them will have contacts for pigeon and other game bird breeders. You might also try searching the internet for local pigeon racing clubs. Often their members will sell culls for a few dollars each. Of course, you can always trap your own. Several dog supply companies, like Lion Country Supply, sell pigeon traps. Some people get their supply of pigeons by netting them at night under bridges and over passes.
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/04/03, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have netted them under a bridge in winter when the river was froze over, I have farmers that are willing and thankful to be rid of them but they are too high in the barn. I did find an old silo with a grainry attatched that the birds roost in. Went in a few nights ago and got twelve birds in about 10 minutes. The silo is about four miles from here and if I dont shot them they retun to the silo, kind of works like a remote loft. For the birds to get out of the silo they have to fly straight up to get out so they are good fliers. Find an accessable roosting place and go in at night with a flash light and fish net and have fun!
Baron
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/05/03, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that you must take precautions when netting pigeons in enclosed areas like silos, old barns or other buildings. Breathing the dust from their droppings can cause lung problems. It might be wise to wear a dust mask if you are going to trap in such a place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: