German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

A couple of questions for the novice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CLSNC

PostPosted: 09/30/03, 5:23 pm    Post subject: A couple of questions for the novice Reply with quote

Hello,
I was wondering what type of training I can do with a dead pigeon. (If you are wondering, no i did not just find some dead pigeon but have access to them?) Also I am really interested in quail hunting and want to know the best way to train my GWP on a budget since I am a lowly college student. And finally, I was wondering if anyone has ever heard about Briarridge kennels in S.C.?
thanks a bunch
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 10/01/03, 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the dead pigeon for retriever training. It is good for getting a young dog used to finding and carrying dead birds and bringing them to you. The cheapest way to train a dog to hunt would be to run them on wild birds. They will learn where to hunt and how to handle them. If you don't have access to wild birds you can use and reuse pigeons by carding them and using a checkchord. But then the pup will have to learn how to hunt during season. But you can get him to pointing and holding point in a field with the pigeons. When season starts and you get him into wild birds just shoot the birds that he handles correctly.
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/03/03, 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old of dog are you talking about? I would not let a young pup out in the field on wild birds until he is comfortable with the sound of a flushing bird. If there are pheasants or grouse where you are the flush of one of them could be devistating to a young sensitive dog. If you have a new puppy 7-8 weeks go to the library and check out Larry Meullers speed training your own bird dog. His puppy program worked great for me. The intro to commands, birds and gun fire was a breeze. I am not going to use the rest of his program from there, though his entire book is very educational for a first timer. If your pup is older I would get live birds and get his bird drive fired up by letting him point and chase, catching one or two birds may not hurt but I wouldnt want him to think he can make a habit of it so keep him on a check cord. If he demonstats he is bird crazy
then take a look into the Dobbs training library on line, If your on a budget it cant be cheaper than free...Mostly geared to the E-Collar but I think they give instruction for without also. If your GWP is as bold as mine, you might want to restructure your budget for an E-Collar!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: