German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

My first hunt of the year
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwimac

PostPosted: 09/12/03, 1:12 am    Post subject: Hi Keith Reply with quote

Wow,sounds like you and your dogs are going to be real busy for the next few months.Hope you have a successful season.Tell me,the US has many more hazzards to dogs than does NZ.How do US hunters protect their dogs from snakes,porkipines,skunks, wolverines and even bears.These aminals could cause a power of hurt on a wire one has invested in.Just interested is all.I brought Larry Mueller`s `Speed train your own bird dog` last week.Seems the 1st 2 months are critical to awaked the pups desire/skill.Alot of his training accessories are readily available.Are those doves you`ve been hunting,good eating.Unfortunately,the breeder of the `wire` I want,is to miss mating this heat cycle.The man needs shoulder surgery.And will not produce a litter from his top bitch until he has recoverd.Seems a sensible appraoch to me.Still,gives me time to do more wire study.I expect weekly hunting tally reports as per game species you have been successful with.Till next time...Good luck mate....
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 09/12/03, 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the middle of the country and we don't have any bears here. Some wild hogs in some areas but I have never ran into any. I have had my dogs sprayed by skunks. They will get the dogs real excited just like game animals and they will point them. I have called the dogs off in time before but I have also had two dogs get sprayed. Last year one of my dogs on her first quail hunt pointed a porcupine. Fortunately for me I could see it hunkering down in the thick brush. I shocked the dog off of it and made her move on. One thing about wirehairs, they will hunt anything until you teach them what you want to hunt. I have also had dogs track down and kill armadillos until I shocked them off of them. I had one dog track down and bring me a full grown opossum. The most annoying thing early in the season is the turtles that some dogs like. They will track them, point them, and play with them.
kiwimac

PostPosted: 09/13/03, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Keith Reply with quote

Thanx for that.Gives a very good reason for dogs to have e-collars in the US.How is the game season looking.IE are bird #`s up/down in your hunting area/state.Saw a show on TV here in NZ `bout `gator` attacks on dogs in the sthn states.Show said 1000`s of dogs are killed by `gators` in the US every year.How do sthn duck hunters protect their prized dogs.
Baron
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/14/03, 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most cases a bear will run from a dog, so they really are much of a problem. If the dog gets too close, most bears will simply climb a tree to avoid the dog. The bears I would think that would pose a real danger to a dog would be Alaskan Browns, Grizzlies, and Polar bears. However, these bears are not prevalent in most of the states where most of the bird hunting occurs. The same would go for wolverines.

Probably the biggest threat to dogs would be rattlesnakes. They are present in many western, southern, and southwestern states. A lot of people that hunt those states extensively have their dogs “snake broken.” There are a couple of method I have heard of to accomplish this, but the most popular is by using an e-collar. A de-fanged rattlesnake is put into an area with the dog. When the dog goes to investigate or attack it, he gets burned with the e-collar on high. This only needs to be repeated a few times for the dog to get the message. If done properly, the dog thinks the snake caused the pain, and will avoid them at all costs. It isn’t very pleasant to watch, but it is effective, and could save the dog’s life.

Skunks are not really a danger (except to your sense of smell) and dogs that tend to be sharp on vermin (like GWPs, GSPs, and some of the other versatile breeds) will really go after them. Some will continue the behavior no matter how many times they get sprayed.

Porcupines can be a problem. We run into a lot of them during the early ruff grouse season. Usually, encounters are not life threatening. Often the dog ends up with a face, nose, and/or mouth full of quills that must be removed. If it isn’t too bad, you can do it your self. However, sometimes it takes a vet to remove all of them, especially from the nose, mouth, and throat, or if one or more quills break off in the dog. I have only heard of a few dogs ever dying from an encounter with a porcupine. One got so many quills in its throat, the airway became constricted and the dog choked to death. The other was a dog that had a broken quill continue to work its way into the dog’s body cavity, where it got into a lung. But, that is fairly rare.

Some other dangers faced by US dogs are badgers, which can inflict some nasty damage on a dog, and wolves. Wolves have been re-introduced into several northern states. They have been known to track down domestic dogs and kill them. More and more of those reports come in each year. In fact, as a kid, my father and I were hunting in Ontario, Canada, and we saw a wolf closing in on our beagle while it was running a rabbit. My father dispatched it as it moved in for the kill. At that time there was a bounty on wolves in Canada.
kiwimac

PostPosted: 09/14/03, 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That`s fasinating ,Baron,thanx for that.What about Bobcats and mountain lions?Are they a danger to field dogs as well,or are they like Black bears and just decamp when they hear dogs approaching.
On a hunting note,NZ farmers in the sth is have complained to Fish & Game that the Canada Goose numbers are getting too high.
F&G plus the farmers had an accord to keep Canada numbers restricted to 20,000 birds.Numbers are now est to be 30,000.Causing too much pasture lose to the farmers.I would rather see a special season opened for hunters than a cull.Will keep you informed on developments
axjms

PostPosted: 09/15/03, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwimac: Here in Alaska we have most of the animals that you listed. One of the main reasons I chose a GWP is because of their "sharpness". I have young children and we live right next to a very large state park. There are black bears, brown bears, and moose walking through our property all the time. Everyone thinks the bears would be the most trouble but really it is the moose that are the most common and usually the most aggressive.
Even at 16 weeks my gwp is fearless but not stupid. She has driven off one bull moose already; she even returned to my whistle after she had pushed it a good distance.
Luckily, there are no snakes in Alaska so there are no worries there.

Jason
kiwimac

PostPosted: 09/15/03, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason.I`d imagine the local human population would have to be pretty`sharp` with all those critters around Alaska.Still,if one is raised in such an environment,one would adapt.Matter of having to really.Are there many other `wire` or `DD` owners up your way Jason?What an exciting state for a GWP to grow up and live in.When does Alaska`s game bird season begin?And what are the species that you and your `wire` to hunt the season?Has it been a good summer for bird`s this year?
Have you ever crossed paths with a wolverine in your hunting adventures in Alaska.If so, are they as fearsome as I`ve read..
Cheerz Rob...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: