German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Keith/200 gold collar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/08/03, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Keith/200 gold collar Reply with quote

Hey Keith,
I am interested in the 200 gold collar but it mentioned it is for a mild tempered dog and fear if I need more power it may not be the best for me. I have never used an e-collar so on one hand I thought it may help avoid running the risk of overpowering but on the other I dont want to drop $200 on a collar that may not suit my needs. My pup is only 6 months old and I have ordered Hickox's vol I & II training videos at the suggestion of my breeder. I have done a little research on the use of them but it really makes me nervous at the possibility of screwing up with it. I dont know what Hickox's reconmedation of what age to start them out at but I thought anything before a year may be to early. The DT modles appealed to me also. I understand that e-collars are a great tool if used properly but I have ziltch in experience with them.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 09/09/03, 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own a DT collar that is larger and more powerful with a full mile range. And it is a hotter collar. But the only time I ever used it on high was with one dog that loved chasing deer one time when he was in full pursuit and ignored the lower settings. Outside of a dog obsessed with chasing or maybe a dog obsessed with fighting other dogs you will never use the higher settings. I have only owned my dogtra 200 collar for a few months now. Unless you have a particularly stubborn dog I can't imagine a wirehair requiring more power to train. I have never had my smaller collar turned up more than half way and most the time I use the lowest setting they can feel. I train at a setting that I tried on myself to test for hotness. The only time I use my bigger collar now is when I am running two dogs. When I am training or hunting with one dog I use the small dogtra. Both collars hold a charge a long time. And with some dogs the pager feature of the dogtra really comes in handy for signaling the dog without a shock. I use it a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: