German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Coat Stripping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/17/03, 11:57 pm    Post subject: Coat Stripping Reply with quote

I need some advice on coat stripping. My 9 month old GWP has a good (correct) coat and I really don't know a thing about coat stripping. I've read here and there that it is done about once a year, etc., but I haven't a clue as to what to use, proper technique, nothing.

Can someone here educate me a little?

Thanks,

Dave
dualgwp

PostPosted: 01/22/03, 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing to remember about a wire coat, is they don't "shed" like a Lab, or Golden oreven a GSP.
The coat will grow and then each hair will die and needs to be removed. If these dead hairs aren't taken out, then the coat will look clumpy, the good liver color will look dull and it will get softer.

A good brushing will help remove dead coat, but at some point you will need to pull it out. You can use your fingers, or get tools to help make the job easier. Don't clip the coat, or scissor it or the coat will get soft and the color will change.

Once a month or so, brush the coat backward with your hand or a brush and then just pull through it....what comes out easily is dead and will be rreplaced with new growth.

A dog with a really good harsh coat will obviously need less stripping than a softer coated dog.

Tools can be purchased through several dog supply outlets or at a dog show. Try Foster & Smith....
Dave
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/22/03, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply dualgwp!

What exactly do you mean by "pull through it?"

Thanks again,

Dave
dualgwp

PostPosted: 01/23/03, 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:"pull through it"= after you brush the coat up (fluff it up) grasp some of the hairs between your fingers and pull it out. Pull gently, and not too much at one time (that hurts!) always pull in the direction the hair naturally grows.

If you are using a stripping knife..grasp a few hairs between your thumb and the blade and WITHOUT breaking your wrist, pull! You don't want to break, or cut, the hair, you want to pull it out by the root.

I know that sounds horrible, but if the coat is dead, (commonly called "blown") then just the dead hairs will come. It won't cause pain.
It helps also to grab the skin just above where you are working and hold it taut so the skin doesnt move back and forth with the pulling

If you do this on a regular basis, you can keep the coat in good healthy shape and will never need to do a really drastic stripping job.

Hope that all made sense... anybody else have any tips?
Bernee
Chinchy
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/23/03, 10:32 am    Post subject: Stripping Knives Reply with quote

I bought some very nice stripping knives from a mail order company called Ryans pet Supplies, go to www.ryanspet.com and you can request a catlog, or order. I hunt my dogs a lot and comb out the burs they can`t get at after every hunt so it seems their coats never need to much stripping! I mainly us the strippers on their faces and neck to keep their furnishing`s looking good( my vanity I guess).When you order strippers keep in mind there are different strippers for different areas of body,and go SLOW till you get experienced! Its real easy to get carried away, and make bald spot`s, especially on the head!!
Black & White German Wirehaired Pointers
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/19/03, 2:31 pm    Post subject: Coat Stripping Reply with quote

What about inside the ears? I have had a few people tell me you need to keep the hair out of the inside of the ears. We have taken our past GWP to groomers for this and they wrap the hair around surgical pliers and jerk it out basically, I know this has to hurt ALOT. Does it need to be done?
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 06/19/03, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how much hair there is in their ears. If there is a lot, then it can catch dirt, wax and other debris and become a place for infections to grow. Yes, some groomers do it with forceps, however I think that is a bit extreme. It can be plucked out with your fingers and I think it is easier on the dog.

I usually sprinkle just a bit of cornstarch in their ears before I pull.. makes it easier to get a grip and that way the hair comes out quicker.
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/02/03, 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If some well intended owner (who shall remain nameless) was a little overzelous with coat stripping and created a bald spot on her dogs hind leg, about how long do you figure it will take to grow back?
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/03/03, 4:33 am    Post subject: Coat Stripping Reply with quote

Anne, did you do something naughty?

No tools for you, you have to use your hands from now on!!

Mike
dualgwp

PostPosted: 09/03/03, 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fret... the hair will grow back, you should see new growth in about 2 wks or so, more in another couple of weeks and after about 5 -6 wks you'll never know the "hole" was there.
Each coat type comes back in different time frames, some slower, some faster than you would like.
Bernee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: