German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Looking for GWP agility stories!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pam

PostPosted: 07/26/03, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Looking for GWP agility stories! Reply with quote

I'm writing articles for the GWPCA WireNews about agility. My next topic will be funny, learning experience, or "can you believe that just happened" stories about our GWPs running in agility. The deadline for the next issue is November 1st.
If you have a story to share, or know someone who does, please reply to my e-mail address so I can get them included!
I have a few stories collected already, but want many more, and it's looks to be an entertaining column! Laughing
Thanks for your help!
Pam Fano9rs@aol.com
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/02/03, 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pam we had a NADAC trial in the Minneapolis area over the weekend. Don't know if these stories are good enough to make the article but what the heck. I'll share. To give you some background Riley is an incredibly cautious dog and we do agility to build his confidence.

It was his big debut. He was definitely a crowd pleaser. I got comments from all kinds of people we didn't know saying how fun he was to watch and how much fun it looked like he was having out there! By the end of the weekend he had his own cheering section.

I was very happy because the first few runs he stressed big time (to the point I considered pulling him from the trial) He was hiding in tunnels and jumping all over the place barking. By the end of the second day everyone's comment was, boy Riley sure has fun out there. I was very proud of him for gaining so much confidence in a very scary situation.

The trial was indoors which helped considerably. Still, I was more than a little nervous he would fasten his nose to the ground and I'd lose him to the world of artificial turf scent. I was also worried he might decide to take a victory lap after we crossed the finish line (not an unknown occurrence by any means). Luckily we had no victory laps and only one incident of following a scent rather than mom's cues.

In the case where he did chase the scent, even border collies in the elite class were running off this course. I don't what the smell was but it got to almost every dog there. I was quite proud that Riley recalled and got back on course at all. The boxer a head of us used up the whole course time obsessed with the scent. I was bursting with pride that we did better than the boxer when scent was the distraction. (We did not Q, however Very Happy )

Another thing, I don't know if this is common to the breed but he is really sensitive. If he makes a mistake he just melts down. So, when we are competing I have to control myself from saying "oops. let's try again" I just cheerfully call him back to the obstacle and lead him to believe it is also the next obstacle in the sequence.

There is a trial next month at a farm in Wisconsin. I can't decide if we'll enter or not. I have visions of Riley's feet moving a mile a minute practically hyperventilating as he greedily gulps the scent of manure, straw, vermin, and cowboy boots. Somewhere, very faintly, way off in the distance he may think he hears his name being called as owners of shelties and border collies look on in dismay. Hope this helps.
Anne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: