German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Coat color change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigoak

PostPosted: 08/28/03, 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet,If your taking about my dog Jac ,you are badly mistaken.I showed Jac at milwaukee and he won his class.Jac has two litters on the ground and know black pups. But I've seen some washed out "roan"dogs that look like they could use a little Jac in them.
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/28/03, 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, can someone show me where to look at a "roan" color? Is that the same as the "tick" color?
Thistle

PostPosted: 08/28/03, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carefully looked Black Jack over at the nationals last year and I can assure everyone that he is in fact a nice dark liver. If there are many others in the GWPCA that think there is black in Jack then we can clearly see why the AWPs are turning a nice light brown.

I can't decide if Janet needs to go back to school (to learn the difference between brown and black), get her eyes checked, or get her meds adjusted.

Kind of makes one wonder what kind of breeding program she has in her kennel.
maddog
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/29/03, 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a finished blk\wht CH on the west coast? Does anyone have an electronic copy of the GWPCA constitution and bylaws? I just wonder how many years is this going to go on. When I started the hoflin list 7 years ago this was the "hot"topic and and came back every month. We've had a historian tell us about the cons and a genetics proffesor from OSU dispute her findings. Maybe it's just time we approve the color and move on Laughing

Steve Kreuser
Owner of a fine BLACK dog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Peter M

PostPosted: 08/29/03, 3:26 pm    Post subject: Black & Whites in UK Reply with quote

I have been reading the Black/White debate in US with interest and I agree with Steve ... time for the US to move on.

Observers may be forgiven that the sudden rise of the Black & White in the UK show ring this year is due to a preference for the colour, it is not (although like the solid livers it has its colour devotees).

I brought the 'accomplished German import' that Jon P mentioned to the UK last year. He happened to be Black and White, that was not my priority or preference - hunt drive, coat quality, conformation and temperament were mine - I would have preferred a liver and white (he is my first black and white).

Remember, black and whites can only be put to liver and white - this means they restrict your choices in a breeding programme. Someone in the UK has already stated their intention to breed black and white to black and white ........... something the VDD would shudder at (me too).

I think it would be right for the US to recognise a homeland colour, but you need to understand the responsibilities that goes with it.

Concentrate on what is important .... colour is not the main issue.
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 08/29/03, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern,

Thanks for clearing up this fallacy regarding Jac.

Now if we could just find out which two liver dogs produced these mysterious black puppies, we might be able to find out the truth there also. I'm betting that this is just more false propaganda to justiy birddog's cause. Rolling Eyes
Dave1967
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/29/03, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 10 pages and over 140 post/comments/opinions I have developed a couple of opinions of my own. On the negative side is seems to me that at least of few of you do not understand the difference between aggression and sharpness. And on the positive side at least some of you are deeply aware of the limited gene pool and the problems facing the future of the breed. I am left with one question - How has membership in the AKC benefited (read improved) the breed.
Thistle

PostPosted: 08/29/03, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If GWPCA members can't tell the difference between black and dark liver, then how well can they follow the standard when it is a bit more general? Such as "flat lying" or "one and one half to two inches"? How about "moderate" or "not too prominent"? Maybe we could get some really good discussions about "smooth", "soft and wooly", or "excessively long"?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: