German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Allergies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/06/03, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Allergies Reply with quote

My granddaughter seems to be allergic to our GWP Jake. Any suggestions short of her taking meds all the time? I've heard of dog shampoos that help but don't know anything about them. I would hate having to get rid of him.

Butterfly
cheerio

PostPosted: 08/08/03, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are a number of sprays on the market you can put on the dog. Some say every 30 days, some say every 3 months. My experience is that no matter which one you get, it is effective only for 30 days.
Perhaps you could also consider other sources of allergies, since the whirehair is suppose to be non allergesic. Just something to think about.
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/08/03, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Allergies Reply with quote

Thanks Cheerio. We did think of other things she could be allergic to. We put Jake outside for a day and a half and when we brought him in he was in about 3 hrs. she started sneezing and her eyes got red. Unfortunately we think he is the problem.

Butterfly
Baron
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/09/03, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your granddaughter have other allergies (grasses, pollen, etc.)? If so, it may not be your dog she’s allergic to, but the pollen, dust, and mold he’s bringing indoors on his coat. There are certain times each summer that my wife has trouble being around the dogs after they have been running in the field. Just a thought.
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/11/03, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baron

As far as we know she has no other allergies but then she has never been tested so maybe something has developed.
Beths

PostPosted: 08/22/03, 2:29 pm    Post subject: allergies Reply with quote

Hi Butterfly,
Speaking as an asthmatic/allergy sufferer, I can suggest that the wirehair coats are one of the best coats around for those who suffer as I do. I agree that maybe the dog is bringing something into the house as well that might be causing allergies. In my area this is a very bad season for the usual "ragweed, goldenrod, etc" for those high pollen producing plants/weeds.

Some things you can do to ensure her suffering is lessened is have her wash her hands after any contact with the dog, don't let her rub her eyes, remove any dust traps (ie. blankets on the couch) and make sure your home is vacuumed early in the day so dust isn't stirred up while there.

Also, how old is your dog? I find I am far more allergic to puppies than dogs who are over a year or more. When I get a lick or scratch from a pup, I have hives within minutes. If she reacts with hives, treat with "witchhazel".

Good luck!
Beth S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: