German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

pup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/09/02, 9:23 pm    Post subject: pup Reply with quote

I own a 5 month old female gwp and in the process of training for upland bird hunting. She has been pointing with the wing on fishing pole, but when I take her in running each night, she doesn't really point, but just runs and chases all the birds she kicks up. She has learned the basic commands, is not gunshy and has been retreiving good. Since we are new to the gwp and a pointer breed, do you have any suggestions or other training tips for us. I know she is still pretty young, and think shes probably doing ok for her age, just wanted some reassurance and/or other tips.
Thanks---
Jen
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/10/02, 8:36 am    Post subject: puppy Reply with quote

Jen,

The first thing I would do is put the wing on a string away, only to come out again, when you get another puppy if at all. All you are teaching the puppy to do is sight point. Keep taking the pup out and let him/her bump and chase, what you will be doing here is building confidence and desire.

Before you start any formal training, purchase a couple of videos on training pointing dogs. My favorite is Sherry Ray Eberts. Since this is your first pointing dog and the training of, if I were you I would find a trainers method I am comfortable with and stick with it. Remembering not to jump or move on to another step until you are confident your puppy knows the last one you were teaching, and it is all about teaching.

What I do with young puppys let's say six months and older, is once I know they have natural point in them I take them off of planted birds, and field work, and we go to yard work, we don't leave the yard until I know they will point and hold point for me which is the gun.

If you haven't formally introduced your puppy to gun fire that would be the first thing I would do when training a gun dog. A good way to introduce gunfire is to use a wing clipped pigeon (primary flight feathers pulled on only one side of the pigeons wing), toss the pigeon and let it run and then release your puppy. From around thirty yards away and when your pup, this is important, just before pup catches the bird fire a 22 cal. round away from the dog, watching for a reaction. If none work closer the next session until you are using a shotgun, starting over from the longer distance.

Good luck, have fun, and remember, let the pup be a pup.
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/11/02, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob-

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll keep you posted on our progress and may be back for more help down the road.

Jen
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/15/02, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen,

Thanks for the thanks Wink Such a small word that means so much, at least to me anyway. I am relatively new to the breed but have trained two wires to NAVHDA Utility I levels. Both of those dogs would shut down or lose their concentration from harsh physical or verbal pressure, but when I showed them what I wanted, they would respond big time. Be patient and firm and a quality bred GWP will take you about as far as your skills.
Kasiak

PostPosted: 11/16/02, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen,

Vom couldn't have said it better - I'm new to the GWP breed and training. Have used George Hickox training video's as a constant reference. All the advice Vom gave you is very similar to Hickox's training methods. Have fun!

Kasi
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/17/02, 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kasi-
I appreciate it, and am looking forward to watching these videos.
Jen
Ray Scaccia

PostPosted: 11/19/02, 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think its time to put the wing and string away and to get down to some serious dog training.I have read and seen many books and videos but the one I like the most is "The Training and Care of The Versatile Gun Dog" put out by NAVHDA.this book and video will give you a good foundation in which to start your bird dog.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 12/27/02, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently training my sixth generation wirehair. I started her with the wing on a string when she was real young but put that away after a few times. I do think that it shows how much pointing instinct is there and the pointing style the pup will have when they are grown. I then moved to some fields not far from my house where she could chase wild quail and other birds when she could find them. Eventually the point should start to come out even if it is a short point followed by a flush and chase. Once they are pointing on birds in a field for a while I will work them on the whoa command and then start planting pigeons for them and bringing them in on a check chord and whoaing them once they establish a point and flushing the bird myself while restraining the dog. Then I will move back into the field on wild birds and whoa them after they have pointed then move in front and flush the birds. At that point I am ready for bird season. Of course I have also been getting the pup used to gunfire and have them good at retrieving both dummies and birds on land and in the water. My current dog has put it all together and this season has pointed and retrieved many wild quail and pheasants. She has also done a very good job on waterfowl sitting by my side and retrieving every duck I shoot.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 12/30/02, 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add that when I do my yard work with the pigeon I use both a check chord and I like to put the pigeon in a bird launcher. I just run a string with the wind and bring the pup in cross wind so I can control when and where the pup will pick up scent and point. Then I can restrain the pup while I pull the string and flush the bird. Later I will put a few strong flying quail in the launcher and shoot the bird for the pup to retrieve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: