German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

problems with health

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/11/03, 4:43 pm    Post subject: problems with health Reply with quote

I am Mike's wife and he needed me to post this for him as he is away in a class. We owned a GWP that passed away and we were in the process of getting a puppy but were just told by the breeder that they had to have the puppy put to sleep . They said that she had an allergic reaction to her vaccinations and they caused major seizures and the vet thought she would have some sort of brain damage. We would like to know if this is a common thing. We would also like to know if this breed has any health problems that usually happen in each dog?

thanks
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/11/03, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neighbor had the same thing happen to their pup. They had a lab. I don't think this happens often but I've been told it does occasionally.
So sorry this happened to you.

Butterfly
cheerio

PostPosted: 08/12/03, 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, although not very common, alergic reaction to vaccines can happen and can cause the pup to seizure. It is not breed specific. Antidotes can effectively be given to avoid seizure, where the pup's reaction is fast enough to occure while still at the Vet.
abbygwp

PostPosted: 08/14/03, 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a lab mix that has severe reactions to her vaccines. We have her vaccinated in 2 week intervals so she she does not get the entire dose all at once.

They do 1/2 the vaccines one week and then the other 1/2 in two weeks.

I don't think that allergies like this are breed specific either.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 08/14/03, 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are having some real bad luck with pups. I live in Oklahoma and if you would ever want to meet somewhere in Southwest Oklahoma and do some quail hunting let me know. I would like to hunt with another GWP owner sometime.
cheerio

PostPosted: 08/15/03, 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick add on to our vaccine reaction discussion:
The combinaision Leptospirosis/Parvovirus is known to give serious reactions. If you think your dog is sensitive or if he suffers from other types of allergies, givng the 2 vaccines at different times is advisable.
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/18/03, 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure am sorry to hear that. I know how much time and work you have put into getting ready to give the pup a great life. I sure hope the right pup comes along for you, it will be a lucky pup!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: