German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

when does the "chewing" stage end??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/08/03, 8:49 pm    Post subject: when does the "chewing" stage end?? Reply with quote

Hi-
Our female is now 1 yr and 3 months old and still will chew on stuff when left alone. What she is famous for is finding anything she can and taking it to a certain spot outside to try and tear it up. Her last episode she decided to see what was on the counter as there was nothing on the floor for her to take out. I was not impressed as she has never been on the counter before. She is with our schnauzer, who is 6 and was never a destructive dog. When I leave, its maybe 2 hours at most and only to run errands, so not even every day. I keep the dog door open so they can stay inside as its been in the triple digits here in TX and much too hot to keep them outside.

She gets run daily where theres water too swim as well. I thought by now this would decrease and be ending, and I don't want to have to buy a kennel and lock her up everytime she is at home alone.

Any thoughts and thanks in advance.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 08/09/03, 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very simple solution...... crate her!

Save yourself the aggravation, and possibly save the dogs life. What's better, coming home and being angry at the dog all of the time? Or coming home and being happy to see the dog? By crating her, you will be happy to see her because she didn't destroy anything in your absence.

Crating her will also stop this "routine" you are setting up for her.

Do it!
cheerio

PostPosted: 08/09/03, 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She may still be teething. Somewhere betwenn 12 and 18 months, dogs pierce their last molars. A little like our wisdom teeth we pierce later on in life, these teeth can take months to grow and can be quite ennoying for the dog. You may consider giving her whole lemon to chew on, it helps the gums to pierce faster.

Or... she could be a chewer, in which case she may continue for a while!...

I too am a great believer in crating, especialy if you are never gone very long. A crate offers a safe heaven to a dog, and piece of mind to the owners.
But if you are not so inclined, leaving her outside while you're gone is also an option.
Spraying on the floor a few articles that you KNOW she will be taking, is another one. Old T-shirts, large bones, several toys, even a stick, whatever you can think of. Cardboard box are a favorite if you don't mind picking up the pieces. Little by little, you will restrict the area where you put these articles, until you finally put them in one place only: your dog will have then learnt that what is there is OK to chew, anything else is not. Then, you can limit the articles to dog toys or chews, and then, she will learn that only dog toys are OK to chew. The key to success is: Don't ever forget to leave articles behind...
ANGUS
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/14/03, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a pain ,isn't it.I crate my dog when I have to leave him at home,or when I go to work.that works great.he is very happy in there,it also works good for some time outs.lol
My only problem that I have had with him,is when he comes in the truck with me,if he has to wait to long for my return,I find a few more chuncks of my truck seat missing,He is now 14 months old,and this behaveour is starting to slow down some what.but he has gone through,the drivers seat ,the lining on the ceiling.and the rubber striping on the drivers door.notice that everything damage is on the drivers side.good thing he only travels in the farm truck.he has not chewed on anything else.
So I guess he has just been telling me,Hurry up I don't want to be waiting here all day!.other than that he is a jem.
P.S. when we have to go out in the good truck ,he is in his crate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: