German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Food Additives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave1967
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/04/03, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Food Additives Reply with quote

I submitted this request on the Versatile Dog Web page Message Board and only received one response so I am hoping that I will generate a larger range of opinions on this subject. I would appreciate some opinions concerning Glucosamine as an additive to the Puppy products that are now available, i.e. Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy Controlled Growth Formula and others. My primary concern in on the Pro's or con's of the additive for puppies.
cheerio

PostPosted: 08/04/03, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glucosamine has been found to stop degenerative articulations due to the rubbing of bones (arthritis) by allowing the formation of a renewed lubrication. There is also evidence that not only will it stop the degenerative process, it may also avoid its onset.
However, the articulation of a normal pup is not at risk and does not require any particular treatment. Furthermore, there is no evidence that Glucosamine taken in puppyhood will interfer with the formation of arthritis in that same older dog. Giving glucosamine to a pup is a little like giving a tylenol tablet to a child in case he developps migraines as an adult!
Glucosamine supplement is not required for the developpement of joints in a normal pup, and therefore, I do not think that it will be of any benefit in avoidance of dysplasia which I am assuming is the implied goal to this supplement.
A better way to avoid dysplasia is to buy a pup who breeds only dogs who have been duely OFAed, to lower the level of proteins given to a pup as soon as he reaches 6 months, which is achieved by switching from puppy food to adult food at 6 months of age, and, if you really want to, by giving vitamin C which helps calcium retention. Beside this, just remember that puppy needs time to grow up before he can be ask to perform strenuous exercises.
Personally, I prefer the plain old puppy food over the new improve "for large breed" formulas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: